Sunday 23 March 2014

Decorating for a chocolate addict

We all know one and some of us are one. What a better way to feed someone's or your chocolate addiction then by making a treble chocolate cake.
In my previous posts I have shown you how to make a basic chocolate sponge  and the basic chocolate butter icing. 

Now for the decoration.

I have made this cake two different ways. The first one I made was for my boyfriend's Dad, a self confessed chocolate addict and someone who shares their birthday with Jesus Christ...and his name is Chris. As some people don't like to share their birthday I all ways make a fuss of Chris before exchanging presents with anyone else in the family. I tried to pack as much chocolate in this cake as possible I also made two layers of sponge, this was the result:

I have lots of ribbons and this one looked best on this cake. It was easy to do as you just had to press the chocolate to the butter icing for a while but I would recommend doing this as soon as you have applied the butter icing.
I have seen this type of cake going around the internet but what I like most about it is that you can change it to who you are giving it to.

Take Two

My brother in-law is also a chocolate addict and when he saw the cake above I believe he fell in love (just a little bit). He was also mortified that he couldn't have any but then promised him I would make one like it for his birthday.
I made this cake with only one sponge but it was a thick piece. I knew the amount of people eating it would be smaller so this didn't matter.
Here are a few photos of how I did it*:



As you can see I used different chocolates which shows that this cake can be versatile. He was also very pleased with the cake, if not with the number on the candles. What would you have on yours?

Happy Baking

Ms B 

xx

*apologies for the poor photo quality, I really need to start using my camera and not my phone. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment