Sunday 2 March 2014

The basic chocolate sponge

After playing around with a few recipes I found one that was perfect for me. 
Bake me I'm yours...cupcake was given to me on one of my birthdays and it's brilliant for cupcake design as well as having the basic sponge recipes.
This chocolate sponge mix is meant for cupcakes the book notes down how many cupcakes you can make out of the mix whether it be big cupcakes or little ones.
I have used this recipe for cupcakes but I believe it works just as well for a whole cake.
In this post I used a 10" non- stick springfrom cake baking tin which made one thick layer. (I have also used this mix with smaller tins to make a sandwich cake.)


Ingredients:


175g (6oz) of slightly salted butter (I use unsalted then add a pinch of salt)
175g (6oz) of caster sugar
115g (4oz) self-raising flour
30ml (6 tsp) coco powder (make sure this is coco and not drinking chocolate)
1.5 tsp (7.5ml) baking powder 
1 tsp (5ml) natural vanilla extract
medium eggs (free range if you can)


Method:

Make sure that your eggs and butter are at room temperature before you start.

  • Pre-heat your oven to 170◦ (338F/ Gas 3-4)
  • Line your tin with a thin layer of butter, place the tin on top of some baking paper and draw round the tin, cut out and place in the bottom of your tin. (The butter will act like a food glue).
  • Measure out all your ingredients ready to use. (you can measure as you go along). 
  • Place your butter in a mixing bowl, you can cut the butter up in to squares if you wish but I find it's soft enough at room temperature. 
  • Add the sugar and cream them together with a wooden spoon until it becomes a pale colour. 


  • Sift the flour, coco powder and baking powder (after measuring) I place all these in the same bowl to save on washing up.



  • Crack the eggs into a mug or small bowl, if some shell sneaks in there and it's is easier to remove then if it was in the mix. I also add the vanilla extract to the eggs.
  • Add and the ingredients bit by bit until it looks like this:  



  • Dip a tea spoon or your finger (make sure it's clean!) and do a taste test. If the mix seems too dry or think add a tablespoon or warm water.
  • Place in the prepared baking tin and place int he oven for 40 - 50 minuets. 
  • You can test if the cake is ready by inserting a skewer or a toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean your cakes is ready. 

It can be tricky to tell when a chocolate cake is ready as the colour doesn't change, just remember not to open the oven door too soon or too quickly as this will result in your cake having a dip in the middle!

Some people like to leave the cake in the tin to cool then remove, but I like to remove it as soon as it's out the oven. I do this by running a butter knife along the outside of the cake, release the spring tin, place a serving plate or cake stand on top of the cake and carefully tun it over. This has ended in disaster a few times and I'm sure there is an easier way to do it but this is how I do it now. The next step is to remove the parchment paper and leave to cool.

While your chocolate cake is cooling you can make a lovely chocolate butter icing, but that's another story...

Do you have a favorite chocolate sponge recipe? 
If it's your first time why not try this one and share how you got on.
Or if you are not so confident yet why not start with a chocolate cake packet mix?

Happy baking,
Ms B 

xx        
  

No comments:

Post a Comment